Friday, July 20, 2012

Chapter 36 - I Just Can't Wait to be King


      A flurry of days passed and I found myself hopeless.  There was no way of getting out of Remus's master scheme.  The only thing that kept me partially sane was Brinson.  The trouble with this was the visiting days.  Only once a week was she allowed into the castle to visit and time flew when I was with her.

      Our first day together was spent with me filling her in on what happened.  She listened patiently as I told her everything from my grandmothers death to the arranged marriages. She was a great audience and it felt nice to have someone that would listen, always gasping at the right times and nodding her head in agreement.



 
      "What are you going to do?" She asked, eyes full of sympathy as I finished.  
"I haven't spoken to Brenton in days," I said, my eyes tracing the pattern of the wooden floor, "I think Remus or Raven talked to him already . I'm not sure what to do anymore, and I'm not even sure what to make off all this."
"Jay," She whispered, "I'm so sorry."



      I looked up at her from the ground, noticing her eyes watering.  "There's nothing I can do about this.  Nothing."
"You're not even going to try to stop him?" Her voice quivered, and I knew she was scared for me.
"There's no point. If I go against him he'll just find ways to hurt me more. I'm too broken for that Brin,  I don't think I can handle any more pain."
Brinson got up slowly from where she sat, holding out her hand. I took it as she helped me up and she wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug.  We cried into each other's arms until security came to take her away.  





       "Is the guest list confirmed?"
"Yes, Remus."
"And there are proper accommodations for the royal families?"
"Yes, Remus"
"And this will ensure the marriages of-"
Remus was cut off by my father, " Yes, Remus! Don't worry I have everything planed! I can handle this, if you care so much about you inheriting the throne then leave so I can have space to think! I understand that being the oldest makes you feel like you need to be on top of things but don't forget who the man of this house is - me! You're not King yet, son. So please, stop acting like one!"
Remus's face grew red with anger. I inched back slowly from where I was standing, so they wouldn't see me.



      "I will be King someday" Remus replied, his face becoming its natural color once again, his face emotionless.
"Yes, Remus, someday. But not today. Just go back to whatever you were doing I need room to think!" I could hear the impatience in my dad's voice.
Remus started walking away, his footsteps coming around the corner of where I was listening. "Not today, yes." I heard him mutter under his breath. "But someday is closer than you think."
Chills ran up my back as I took note of his cold words.




       His footsteps were coming closer and I knew that I had to get out of my little hiding spot before he found me ease dropping. I stepped out into the entrance and walked into the room where he was exiting as if I was walking in this direction the whole time.
"He's busy" Remus snarled at me, still walking away as if he had important things to tend to.
I ignored him and waited for him to pass around the corner before taking a huge breath.  The whole time spent listening I must have forgotten how to breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment