Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chapter 2 - Roomies


I was so lonely and bored living by myself. I mean, who wants to live like that? Being antisocial is not like me! 
I was skeptical at first on finding a roommate. There were endless possibilities of how they could end up, like creepy or something more dramatic like a serial killer.

I did my research and I found her. Her name was Stella Rucker and she was in some kind of band. 


She came over and I greeted her. We were to agree on rules and what not but she took one look at the house and pulled her phone out of her tight jeans.
"I can show you inside" I said as I looked at her dial a number.
"Give me sec" she said, half ignoring me. "Hello?" 
I waited patiently and silently, hoping to hear who she was on the phone with. 
"Yeah this place is a dump" she talked into her phone like she had forgotten I was standing there. I heard a man at the other end but I couldn't tell what he was saying.
She nodded her head as if the person on the other line could see her and hung up.
"Do you have any important things in your house?" She asked, already looking through the window. 
"Well, my furniture" I responded awkwardly, shifting the weight onto my other leg.
"Yeah I wouldn't worry about that. We both agreed on the phone the other night that we needed someone to live with?" 
"Yes" I said lamely.
"But we didn't agree where we would live" She said looking at the grime that was plainly visible on the walls.
"Well no," I looked up at her and then at my dog which decided to run out of the house. "I just assumed we would live here."


She picked up Skyler and shoved him into my arms. "Let's go" she was already walking away, and I had to run a few steps to catch up.
"Wait so -"
She turned her head back to glance at me as she interrupted my question , "We're going to live at my bandmates place".
I followed her like a lost puppy.

It felt like it took forever to get there. It was a small house with three bedrooms, only two master beds. She said I could sleep in her room for the night since the guy who owned the place was out of town. 
What have I done? I just moved out of my house with someone I hardly knew and was sleeping in some strangers bed. 
But it's what I wanted right? This was exciting and new! The thought of everything seemed to change in my mind and I fell asleep with out anymore regrets.

I woke up to an empty house. It was really odd. It didn't feel like it was also my house but I set off to make some breakfast anyways.
I had the waffles in the oven and was looking out the window. The view outside was much better than the old one and then beach was just down the street, and my favorite gym.
I heard foot steps and my mind came back to the small kitchen.
"Ciara" I heard Stella's voice behind me and turned around. A burning smell filled my nose. I looked at her and she nodded towards the stove with a face mixed with humor and a little fear.
"OH MY G- WHAT THE HELL I LOOKED AWAY FOR ABOUT TWO MINUTES!" I screamed my head off and open the stove.
The flames seemed to just get bigger. Woops.

"Ciara! Just put it out the extinguisher is right there!" Stella was yelling at me, her face now filled wither fear.
I struggled with getting the fire extinguisher from on top of the fridge while Stella yelled some more.
 The flames were growing pretty fast and adrenaline seemed to take over and I became very brave. Imagine if I lived by myself and if it was my old house.. I would have been dead by now!
Stella stretched out her hands as if pushing air back would make the fire calm down.
For a moment I thought that her crazy hand movements were working but I was the one who was holding the fire extinguisher.
_________________________________________________________________________________


"CIARAA" I heard my name being called out in a sing-song voice. I had just gotten out of the shower and took a small nap. The fire really got to me. My first day living with someone and I almost burn down the house. I was surprised that I haven't been kicked out yet.
I grudgingly stepped outside and felt the warm air touch my skin. "Yes?"
"We're going to eat," she said checking her text messages. "are you cool with a little walk over there?"
I agreed. Something to eat couldn't be that bad

We arrived at some Mexican place. I was excited, I have never been to this spot before.
My stomach growled and she lead the way inside.

She headed off to the bathroom while I ordered food. "Large plate of nachos" I said to the cook.
She nodded and began preparing our food.  I wasn't sure what Stella ate so I ordered for her.


We ate in silence. Right when the nachos entered my mouth I swear my stomach went crazy. They were delicious!
"I told you this place was good" Stella said eating her nachos slowly.
"You never told me anything about this place" I pointed out.
"I brought you here didn't I?" She stated, now grinning.
I was about to open my mouth to say something, then closed it. She was right, and I was hungry so I finished my nachos without anymore talking.


She seemed to take forever to eat the plate of nachos. When she was done we ended up at a booth to talking about house rules.
I questioned her about the man who owned the house.
"His name is Josh, and he plays the piano in our band. He didn't want me to live with you because it was far away from him and we don't like traveling far to practice. He also didn't want something bad happening to me, seeing that it is a bad part of the city."
"Oh so are you guys dating?" I wasn't going to ask but I was curious.
"No." She said shortly with a look of slight sadness and disgust on her face.
"Oh." I felt bad for asking. It seemed like something went on between them and now I felt bad for making her think about. I looked away toward the bar.

"We're both single" she said, noticing the look on my face. "He's coming home tonight, so don't make any plans because you're meeting him."

2 comments:

  1. This is very good and entertaining. I can't wait for the next part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ! I'll probably have one up by Wednesday !

    ReplyDelete